• Splenic involvement (splenomegaly and hypersplenism) due to infiltration of lymphocytes or mast cells or initiation of extramedullary hematopeosis
• Splenomegaly and hypersplenism, resulting in anemia, thrombocytopenia, and/or neutropenia
• Splenectomy may be indicated for hypersplenism, for diagnosis, or for primary surgical removal of the predominant or only site of disease
Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL)
Hairy Cell Leukemia (HCL)
• Leukocytosis or leukopenia
• Thrombocytosis or thrombocytopenia
• Leukoerythroblastic peripheral smear with teardrop poikilocytosis
• Giant abnormal platelets
• Pain over the spleen from splenic infarcts is common
• Portal hypertension develops in some cases as a result of fibrosis of the liver, greatly increased splenic blood flow, or both
• Other causes of hypersplenism and cytopenias (Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Hodgkin disease, chronic myelogenous leukemia)
Log In to View More
If you don't have a subscription, please view our individual subscription options below to find out how you can gain access to this content.
Want remote access to your institution's subscription?
Sign in to your MyAccess profile while you are actively authenticated on this site via your institution (you will be able to verify this by looking at the top right corner of the screen - if you see your institution's name, you are authenticated). Once logged in to your MyAccess profile, you will be able to access your institution's subscription for 90 days from any location. You must be logged in while authenticated at least once every 90 days to maintain this remote access.
If your institution subscribes to this resource, and you don't have a MyAccess profile, please contact your library's reference desk for information on how to gain access to this resource from off-campus.
AccessSurgery Full Site: One-Year Subscription
Connect to the full suite of AccessSurgery content and resources including more than 160 instructional videos, 16,000+ high-quality images, interactive board review, 20+ textbooks, and more.
Pay Per View: Timed Access to all of AccessSurgery
24 Hour Subscription $34.95
48 Hour Subscription $54.95
Pop-up div Successfully Displayed
This div only appears when the trigger link is hovered over.
Otherwise it is hidden from view.