• Chondrosarcomas, osteosarcomas, myelomas, Ewing sarcoma, lymphoma, and metastatic cancer
• Most common primary malignancy of chest wall (30%)
• Commonly develop at costochondral junction
• First 4 ribs commonly affected; spreads locally
• More malignant than chondrosarcoma
• Propensity to metastasize to lung or bone
• < 5% arise in chest wall
• Majority present on extremity
• Rare lesions, causing 5-20% of chest wall tumors
• 75% of the time solitary chest wall plasmacytomas are harbingers of diffuse disease
• 10-15% of primary chest wall tumors
• < 15% present in chest
• Kidney, thyroid, lung, breast, prostate, stomach, uterus, or colon
• Renal and thyroid high propensity to metastasize to sternum
• Direct extension occurs with breast and lung cancers
• Radiation therapy is useful in myeloma to control pain
• Chemotherapy is primary treatment for myeloma
• Chemotherapy followed by radiation therapy or surgery for Ewing sarcoma
Log In to View More
If you don't have a subscription, please view our individual subscription options below to find out how you can gain access to this content.
Want remote access to your institution's subscription?
Sign in to your MyAccess profile while you are actively authenticated on this site via your institution (you will be able to verify this by looking at the top right corner of the screen - if you see your institution's name, you are authenticated). Once logged in to your MyAccess profile, you will be able to access your institution's subscription for 90 days from any location. You must be logged in while authenticated at least once every 90 days to maintain this remote access.
If your institution subscribes to this resource, and you don't have a MyAccess profile, please contact your library's reference desk for information on how to gain access to this resource from off-campus.
AccessSurgery Full Site: One-Year Subscription
Connect to the full suite of AccessSurgery content and resources including more than 160 instructional videos, 16,000+ high-quality images, interactive board review, 20+ textbooks, and more.
Pay Per View: Timed Access to all of AccessSurgery
24 Hour Subscription $34.95
48 Hour Subscription $54.95
Pop-up div Successfully Displayed
This div only appears when the trigger link is hovered over.
Otherwise it is hidden from view.